Today I found, as always, a worthy link that list 100 ways to screw up your mid century modern home. I found it to be so funny and true and in one. When starting out a new mid century modern makeover, you will need to know that there’s a difference between contemporary, modern, and mid century modern. As anyone, if you are new to the mcm era of design — you will have plenty of opportunities to screw it up. So please pay attention to this list over at Lorton Dale. It’s definitely a great list that I will keep handy through my renovation.
Here are my top 10 that had me laughing (shamelessly) while reading the list.
2) Ornate front door. (Etched glass windows) – Our door seriously is etched. There’s nothing I could do about it when we bought it in April.
6) Adding vinyl double hung replacement windows – So many are going to make this mistake. In fact, my contractor (bless his heart), suggested that I go with a more modern window to stick with my design ideas. Shame on him!
10) Covering your tongue & groove ceiling and wood beams with sheetrock – He was almost talking to me. We had to scrap all the pop corn ceilings down and refinish with a smoother finish.
25) Granite!!!!!!!! – Preach brother! Preach!
40) Whitewash the interior with white paint to make it feel larger – Hey! You’re on my toes. We had to actually do such a thing cause our walls were covered in wallpaper throughout the house. So we painted them white till we solidify the color schemes.
55) Installing the cable box right outside the front door – Hahaha! Now that just plain funny!
69) Buying a mid-century modern home and then normalizing it to make it look like any other home. – I’m sure this happen quite a bit. In Nebraska, I’m sure it happens.
79) Hire an architect who doesn’t understand Modernism – Now this is very dangerous. I can seriously speak on this.
90) Inappropriate furnishings?? (see flowery couch with detailed, routed wood) – I heard a guy once say something so funny in relation to this. I will have to remember and then post it. But so true. Big box stores can not achieve the desire MCM decor.
107) Turning your front yard into a playground full with play set – This just ain’t right. Please don’t do this people.
As I’m sure you will check out 100 Ways to Screw up Your Mid Century Modern home, you will find there’s so many things you might have do or doing. And for the record, everyone has their opinion of what Mid Century Modern would be. But there are definitely some rules to abide by.